These tips come from a good friend of my who has actually been to the CHAP convention (I have been to a smaller, local convention but not CHAP). I hope these offer some insight for you.
Navigating the convention:
- Have a game plan – check out the speaker topics ahead of time and schedule your day around those times. Have a pretty good idea of what you want to buy and know which vendors sell that item and where they’re going to be located (there is usually a floor map published closer to convention time), but always browse the other vendors, you never know when you’ll find that must have item you didn’t know you needed.
- Don’t buy from the first vendor you see. Many of the vendors sell the same materials but for the same price! Compare then buy. I used a chart with my desired purchases as row headers and the column header was each vendor that sold that item. Once I knew who sold what I wanted for the lowest price I went back and bought. A fellow blogger just shared her forms for this very thing if you would like to check them out.
- Pack a lunch. You cannot bring food into the farm show complex but you can leave, eat in your car, and come back in. Food from the food court is REALLY expensive.
- Bring a book bag on wheels. CHAP usually offers a holding area for purchases but I like not having to carry my stuff around.
- Comfortable shoes and layers is a must!
What tips would you share with fellow homeschoolers?